Susan has over 25 years of experience as a registered licensed, sports certified dietitian and accomplished endurance athlete. With this unique skill set, knowledge, and experience, she can guide you in creating sustainable, healthy eating habits, achieve a healthy relationship with food, a positive body image, and fueling practices to enhance your athletic performance.
Susan advocates a diet built around nutrient-dense, high-quality plant-based foods—no supplements, no gimmicks, no fad diets, and no pills. Nutrition is a science, after all, and her guidance as a registered dietitian reflects this. Rather than calorie counting, or having a “never or always” food list, she focuses on behavioral modification and creating realistic and sustainable eating habits to help you meet your goals.
To achieve lasting results, Susan emphasizes a multi-disciplinary behavioral approach that examines all areas of your life—not just diet—to help you achieve health and performance goals. Your body is unique. Your nutrition plan should be, too. Race Smart provides a range of nutrition services tailor-made for your goals and health needs.
- Macronutrient balance for meals/snacks
- Nutrient timing
- Body composition
- Nutrition for the athlete with diabetes
- Nutrition for the athlete with celiac
- Nutrition to improve immune system function
- Anti-inflammatory nutrition
- Vegetarian nutrition
- Meal planning for a busy, on the go lifestyle
- Eating to support endurance workouts
- Improving metabolic function and hormonal health
- Nutrition for the female athlete and hormone function
- Control food cravings
- Sound strategies for overcoming disordered eating
- Analyzing blood work for health and athletic excellence
Sports Nutrition Consulting
Whether you’re a year-round swimmer, professional athlete, or a weekend warrior, fueling your body well is vital to your athletic success. Maybe you’ve been sidelined in the past by the pitfalls of improper nutrition: dehydration, cramping, “bonking,” GI distress, unintentional weight gain/loss, lethargy, or overeating. Steer clear of these common training hazards with Susan’s easy-to-adapt expertise. Learn how food fuels the body and how to support your unique metabolic needs before, during, and after training with the right combination of macronutrients—that is, carbohydrate, protein, and fat—timed for optimal performance and recovery. Susan’s plans are personalized for your weight and body composition goals, as well as your training cycle.
Sport Nutrition Specialities:
- Pre-workout nutrition
- Training and race day fuel plan
- Taper nutrition guidelines
- Recovery fueling
- Minimizing GI distress
- Hydration in various environmental conditions
- Sweat rate and electrolyte loss
- Sport nutrition products and application
- Sports supplements
How Nutrition Consulting Works:
Getting started is easy. We’ll ask you to complete a nutrition questionnaire and to keep a food journal for two days. Then we’ll connect to discuss your goals, either over the phone or in person. Based on our conversation, we’ll prepare a comprehensive assessment with specific recommendations and an easy step-by-step guide to help you be and feel your best.
- Daily Nutrition – for the athlete or fitness enthusiast who has a regular exercise routine and wants to achieve an optimal body weight, develop a healthier relationship with food, gain control of cravings, improve health, and feel better.
- Leaner For Life – a comprehensive monthly program that gives you an on-call personal nutrition consultant to help you break poor eating habits, create a positive relationship with food, eliminate cravings, and learn about the right balance of nutrients for your body and lifestyle.
- Athlete In Training – provides ongoing support and guidance weekly and biweekly over a 4-week time frame.
- Training/Race Fuel Plan – expert guidance devising an ironclad sports plan to practice over and over during training sessions that get you to the finish line.
- Performance Fueling – comprehensive service that covers both daily nutrition and fueling during training sessions and on race day.
- Sweat Testing – a scientific approach critical for all athletes seeking to optimize performance and maintain adequate hydration during training or racing.
- Lab Work Analysis – the most measurable and scientific way to assess potential health limiters inside your body as it relates to training, performance, and diet.
- Hourly Consulting – boost your progress with a one-time, 60 minute, highly focused consultation.
Looking for something you don’t see here? Let’s talk.
Training with Susan is a dream come true! She can build your spirits instantly just by going out together for a run, all the while creating long-term, actionable & achievable goals with her tremendous knowledge and years of experience. Whether your goal is to run a mile or a 100 miles, a sprint triathlon or full Ironman, she has the expertise to get you there! —Linda, Boston, MA